Saturday, December 31, 2011

Surviving 2011...the last workout

This year has been quite an adventure for me.  I don't tend to make resolutions, but I usually try to set some goals, and although I grew exponentially as an athlete I did have some failures along the way.  So here is the review:

Goal #1: A half marathon PR: The Surf City half marathon
Although I did not plan on trying to PR at this race I was putting in my speed sessions.  Then somehow my more relaxed outlook on this race helped me to successfully crank out a huge time for me...1:41:57

Goal#2: (this is actually 2 in one)An olympic triathlon: Wildflower
Ever since I was in college I always admired the wildflower athlete.  I made it through the difficult course and even managed to slide in right below the 3 hour mark.

Goal #3: A more focused approach to my training
Before this year I really just ran, swam or cycled.  I never really followed a training plan even though I did use training plans to guide me.  I have to say I didn't exactly succeed at this one.  There are many weeks where I pushed myself a lot further than my training plan asked of me and many weeks where I just didn't feel like doing anything and couldn't push myself through.  Not to mention California International Triathlon, Folsom Sprint, and Nike half came after bouts of laziness and 30th birthday parties.  I also strayed away from my training plan for CIM and ended up injured.  I think this also means I need to take my off season seriously no matter how tempting a race may be.

Goal #4: Marathon #2 going sub 4: CIM
I had to pull out of this event after I developed patellar tendonitis, I was bummed, depressed, and annoyed, but I'll be back to tackle this goal in 2012 and maybe at CIM again some year soon.

Goal #5: Improve my lessons and teaching strategies
I really love teaching, but sometimes I feel as though I am falling short.  I took some classes this summer and I reevaluated some of my past lessons to modify and adjust.  I feel as though I started strong at the beginning, faltered, then started strong at the start of a new year, and leveled out going again into the new school year.  This is a reoccurring goal of mine, so hopefully what I was disappointed with this year I'll manage to fix in 2012.

So I finished off the year with an awesome trail half marathon (my first one)!  I enjoyed every minute of it and I'm thinking this may need to be a New Years Eve tradition.  Race report soon to come

Of course now comes my goals for 2012:
Goal #1: Going sub 4 this time at the Napa Marathon, I'm being very careful with my training this time and really hoping my hard work will get me through

Goal #2: Wildflower: I would like to get faster, but I know the elements were really in my favor next year so along with staying sub 3 hours I'd like to make a point of running the whole run course

Goal #3: The half Ironman: I signed up for Vineman and my goal is just to finish

Goal #4: A more focused approach to my training: I've learned from my injury so I'm planning on being better about this

Goal #5: A half marathon PR: I'm thinking sub 1:40, I don't know what course, or when, but I really want this.  It may mean losing a few lbs., but I'm working at this.

Goal #6: Trail Running!  Ms. Kim Cooke got me into trail running this summer and now I really want to push myself to trail more often and in more places

Goal #7: Push myself harder: this is more mental than physical, but it does need work.

Personal Goals:
Goal #8: Improve my lessons and teaching strategies: always ongoing

Goal #9: Positive attitude: I can be real negative and maybe even a b#*$?! at times, I've gotten better at this, but I still can use some work

Goal #10: Lay off the cupcakes: I need to focus more on my health in terms of nutrition this year.  I eat pretty healthy, but I tend to indulge when the opportunity presents itself.  My focus is balance.

Happy New Year everyone!  Here I come 2012!

Events on my calendar:
Waterfront 10 miler
Napa Marathon
Oakland Half Marathon
Wildflower Olympic
Vineman 70.3 Half Ironman

No comments:

Post a Comment