Monday, December 26, 2011

Mi Familia...Napa 2 weeks down 10 to go...

This week is always a tough week to get my act together.  I have the whole week off work so I really have to push myself to get outside in the cold, not to mention everything that will make me sluggish on a run is out in the open and ready for me to indulge in.  However, I managed to get through and enjoy some family festivities and last minute shopping along the way

Monday: Epic fail at the gym
So I tried to get in a zumba class, but it got cancelled and then I tried to swim, but my arms were heavy and just not feeling it, so I settled for a lame workout that I hoped would make my legs a little peppy to tempo the next day.  Then I was off to finish my shopping and avoid foods that wouldn't agree with me while in tempo.

Tuesday: 2x2 miles
I got up at 7a.m. (yes this is sleeping in) to head out the door and hit the trail.  I got in a 2 mile warm-up and then jumped into my tempo intervals.  I made it through the first interval with a 7:35 and a 7:26 mile then on to my second interval which my legs were agonizing over (guess avoiding crap didn't work so well for me).  I pushed myself to do the second set, but this went a little slower (especially the uphill 2nd mile) 7:30, 7:46.  Then I headed off to Bikram yoga to try and stretch it all out, hoping my legs would not give out since my balance is so awful.

Wednesday: Bikram and Hike
I met up with Laney and Andrea for a 8:30a.m. Bikram session.  I faired better today since my legs weren't entirely fatigued.  After I was stretched out I met up with Laney, one of her clients, and a few of her client's co-workers to go for a hike along the Mt. Diablo ridge.  I'm sure you know how much I LOVE Mt. Diablo, despite it trying to kill me occasionally, plus, lately the weather has been brisk but sunny which is oh so awesome (I like rain but it really limits my activities).  After lots of talk, laughs, and about 4 or 5 miles we came back to the cars and headed our separate ways.  Sometimes I think walking is harder than running because my legs were stiff after this.

Thursday: 16 mile run
I needed to go pick up my students to head out to SF and look at prom venues, but I also knew I needed to fit in 16 miles before 11a.m.  I layered up and headed out, hoping to negative split along the way.  Usually this is my track day, but since I was unsure as to when I would be back I cancelled track and switched my days.  My legs felt awful, again, but I pushed through managing to negative split for most of the run (I was out of gas the last 3 miles).  Laney joined me for a few which helped me push toward my goal pace.  Then off to the city where we looked at some awesome venues!  The kids were still making their final decision, but it is already seeming pretty awesome!

Friday: Rest day
I had plans to get up and do something, but my body just wouldn't let me.  I was exhausted, sore, and wanted just another hour.  I wanted to head out to my grandparents so I opted to rest.  Then I spent the evening catching up with my mom and grandparents, and enjoying MENUDO, one of the wonderful holiday traditions!

Saturday: 8x800
I had a few interval options, so I opted for this one.  Very determined I headed to grandpa's treadmill and cranked out my intervals.  I started by a 2 mile warm-up and then the 8 went something like this 3:48, 3:43, 3:42, 3:36, 3:34, 3:34, 3:32, 3:26.  Then I was off to eat grandma's fantastic tamales, rice, beans, and of course potato salad!  The food was great, the family was even better.  We enjoyed all the great food while playing Lotaria (mexican bingo) and apples to apples.  I tried to get the right margarita ratio for everyone and I helped my mom experiment in creating chocolate martinis.  I ate so much and so many desserts.  We opened up presents my family is oh so generous, thank you everyone for everything, especially my North Face Jacket!  I was deeply depressed over losing my old one.


Sunday: Rest
Although I wanted to do something today I was just too excited for more food, more presents, and more family.  Although we usually do movies on Christmas day I headed out too early to partake and went to visit Nick's family and enjoy his mother's fantastic Prime Rib.  If you can't tell I indulged quite a bit this week.


I made it to 31 miles this week running now on to week #3
HAPPY HOLIDAYS EVERYONE!!!


Next Event: Brazen New Years Eve trail half marathon

No comments:

Post a Comment