Thursday, September 15, 2011

A bit of a scare...

I've been trying hard not to overtrain and risk injury this marathon cycle.  The last time I tried to run a marathon I developed what is called piriformis syndrome (pain in the butt, literally).  Although I could have developed this issue doing many other things it was still a huge bummer that took me over a year to get under control.  Unfortunately, the issue hasn't completely gone away, but is manageable for the time being.
Anyway, this week I started feeling a pain in my big toe and with so many friends having stress fractures I began to freak out, and of course, instead of turning to the doctor I turn to the internet.  I figured the pain might just be tendinitis since I've had it before, plus many people said a stress fracture in your big toe is not likely.  Finally, 3 days later I gave in with the fear that I may be making matters worse and that I would have to contact a few race directors and increase my cycling miles if I did have one.
Today I walked into the Dr.'s office, and he didn't even ask for x-rays, he moved my toe around and said it seems like a joint or tendon issue.  I breathed a huge sigh of relief and felt so glad that I don't have to bail on the upcoming events I have planned.  I'm thinking next week might have more cycling days than running days just to be on the safe side, but I'm glad I'm in the clear so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment