Monday, April 18, 2011

Salud to the Marathoners!

Today marked one of the biggest and most exiting event in a marathoner's running career, THE BOSTON MARATHON.  This marathon is known as America's oldest marathon and has some very difficult qualifying standards.  Although I have about 7 half marathons under my belt I can say I've only ran one marathon so far and it was one of the most difficult things I've ever had to do.  There are certain things that become normal to you that don't seem normal to the average person.  For instance:

Going out for an 11 mile run seems like an average everyday thing, not to mention a fairly short distance

Having 10 toenails seems unusual

Anti-chafe, nipple guards, vaseline, chamois butter and tri glide become your best friends that you'll never leave home without

Weekly hang outs with friends usually involve running or eating

No matter how much you eat, you can never feel full

7a.m. starts to become sleeping in on the weekends

You carry a water bottle everywhere you go

Ice baths actually start to feel good and sound like a good idea

And of course at the end of it all you feel accomplished and say, why do I do this to myself?  I'm attempting round 2 of a marathon this year in December, although I don't know that I'll make Boston qualifying standards I will be working hard to beat my current marathon time.  Cheers, to all you Boston Marathoners, you really kicked some butt today!  May your evenings be filled with margaritas, ice baths, and a sigh of relief that all that training really paid off.  

No comments:

Post a Comment