Wednesday, April 20, 2011

A love hate relationship its complicated

Yesterday marked my second week trucking myself up Mt. Diablo from the south side this season and less than two weeks until Wildflower so to subside my anxiety I thought I would talk about my favorite and most hated ride.  I started cycling about 3 years ago when my boyfriend took me bicycle shopping.  He wanted to start riding more since his bike spent most of the time collecting cobwebs and I figured I would shop a little, but I wasn't entirely sold on the idea.  But then I saw her...the fuji finest 2.0...she was beautiful in white and purple the perfectly girly dream bike for me, although as I grow as a cyclist she feels more like a tank.  Anyways, I have gone on many rides by this time in my cycling career but I always return to 1, my first one, Mt. Diablo. 
It took me 3 tries to make it to the ranger station and one more time to make it to the top.  Even when I made it to the top I bonked so hard I fell in the gravel when I got back to the car.  Not only was the ride to the top challenging, but I ended up wearing out my break pads with how slow I'd go down the mountain.  I always feared crashing hard on the way down.  I've gotten better as the have passed and eventually my hatred for this ride has long since passed, so much so that I enjoy inflicting the pain of Diablo on myself on a regular basis, it really is a disturbing and abusive relationship.  Yesterday evening a friend of mine managed to capture the beauty of Mt. D as we decended down the mountain and I thought it is definately worth sharing

Does anyone else have this kind of experience with rides or routes they do?

No comments:

Post a Comment