Friday, March 18, 2011

Out of balance

I've put in hours and hours of training time, including making some time for yoga and weights and now I'm hitting the peak of my training and I'm feeling the exhaustion and stress of everything.  I feel behind in grading, behind in planning, cranky, tired, and just worn out.  I've decided I need to invest in my health and take a sick day.  I don't like taking sick days frequently because I always worry I might actually get sick for a prolonged period of time and I won't have enough leave to make it up.  Granted I'm pretty healthy and very rarely miss work except for conferences and the occassional mental health or travel day, but I still feel a bit guilty leaving my hooligans.  However, I secured the sub I trust the most and threw in the towel for the week to get some grading done and spend a few more hours in my pjs.  
    This isn't the first time I've felt down and out while training, but these are the ways I try and cope when the days start getting to me.
1. make time for sleep, missing a workout won't kill me, missing sleep may kill a student
2. make a to do list: if I keep in mind what is most important I realize I don't have as much work as i think and I will focus a bit better
3. Plan workouts with friends, groups, or your favorite instructors to get you out the door
4. Slow down: Sometimes when I feel sluggish it helps to get the workout in but at a slower pace, my legs have trouble working so they are less likely to fight me.
5. Reevaluate training: if my current schedule isn't working or is killing me I need to take a look at how to fit everything in better
6. Get some good laughs in...it helps to stay positive
I hope everyone else is doing well with their training and if you have any other suggestions on how to keep motivated I can always use them.

No comments:

Post a Comment