Saturday, March 26, 2011

The next event...

The last 13 weeks I have been training for the wildflower triathlon and I still have 5 more weeks to go.  However, I have already started thinking about what other events that may be included in my year.  The reason I often plan ahead is because many events have deadlines where the price goes up or they may fill up immediately.  I have already signed up to run Bay to Breakers following Wildflower and my second olympic triathlon is this summer in Pleasanton, California International Triathlon, but earlier this week I decided to add another big event to my race/event calendar.  A MARATHON!  I have only marathoned once before in June 2010, Rock n' Roll San Diego, so I decided enough time has passed that I'm going to give a triathlon closer to home a try, California International Marathon (CIM).
      The last time I marathoned I made a few mistakes that cost me some clock time and provided me with an ongoing injury (piriformis syndrome as my doctor calls it).  However, I know more now than I did before and I also know more people than I did before that are experienced in the marathon area.  My last time was 4 hours and 14 minutes which is not an awful time for a first marathon, but I was on track until mile 20 to make it to the finish in under 4 hours.  However, my injury became too much for me to handle and I just couldn't make it to the finish without walk running a mile or two.  I've looked at my calendar and decided I can give myself plenty of rest time to try to heal any injuries I have from the time I do CIT to the time I do CIM.  I'm very excited about trying to marathon again and I'm hoping that I will cut a good chunk of time off my current time.  Now comes the training which means this summer I'll checking out a few different training schedules to avoid injury, include speed work, and keep up with some of my triathlon training (crosstraining).

No comments:

Post a Comment