Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Thoughts on Swimming or Should I say Drowning

As I mentioned before I never thought of myself as an athlete, but even more so when it comes to the swim.  My life started in sunny Southern California with swim lessons and pools from an early age, but once again I lost interest in swimming beyond recreation and now in 2011 I am paying for my disinterest in the pool.  I did try to enter the pool for a short stint of time where I tried out for the high school water polo team, but when I didn't make the cut I developed a swimming complex, basically getting cut means "you suck" or at least that is what goes through the mind of a 15 year old.  As I grow older I've realized this isn't the case, but my neglect of the pool is creeping up on me.

Last year I joined a Masters program where I developed a love/hate relationship with swimming.  Now this is an improvement on my previous relationship because there is love involved.  I started going regularly until I began training for a marathon.  However, in my time at masters and as I enter the pool now I have a few tips I strongly recommend for anyone planning on entering the pool other than in a cannonball fashion.

1. Get the right supplies: bathing suit that fits, cap, and goggles that don't leak: I can't tell you how hard it is to find the perfect pair of goggles
2. The extras: so besides the essentials listed above I recommend fins and a snorkel.  Now when I say snorkel I don't mean the huge goggles and snorkel someone uses when actually snorkeling in the ocean or a lake.  What I mean is a snorkel independent of the goggles.  This will help with breathing to focus on technique.  Moreover, fins make any swimmer much faster and they help with the "kicking" aspect of swimming.  They are also nice for when I'm feeling lazy.
3. Get in the pool: it is always colder outside than it is in the pool, the reality is that you just have to approach it like you would anything in life and go butt first.  If you jump in and immediately start swimming the numbness will go away
4.  Always have a workout planned ahead of time: I have found that if I go to the pool just planning on swimming then my swim will consist of lots of kicking and a few 100s in laps.  However, if I mentally prepare or look up a workout then I will do a long set followed by drills and kicking or a series of short sets.
5. Don't feel inferior to better swimmers: now this is a hard one which has taken me years to overcome.   Someone is always going to be better than you so until they get injured or get fat you have to work as hard as you can to get strong and fast.  It is best to come up with your own records for self improvement or to compete with someone at what you would assess is your level.  
6. Remember, triathlon means 3 sports so the swim is just one portion (this is what I keep telling myself)
7.  Never be afraid to take criticism on your stroke unless you don't trust the critic.  Swimming is more about form and flow than strength so if you have good form then strength and speed will come soon.
8. It doesn't hurt: I've had injuries from running and pain from cycling, but never from swimming.  If you have problems with other events then take a break and jump in the pool it is easier on your joints
9. Find a friend: any sport is easier when you have good company and sometimes someone to complain with

Anyone have a #10?

No comments:

Post a Comment