Monday, January 17, 2011

So Here I Go

In high school I was probably the most unathletic individual you could possibly meet.  I tried almost every sport under the sun, but unfortunately never found anything I could stick with nor anything I was good at.  If you told me that at 27 I would have already finished 5 half marathons, 1 century bike ride, 4 metric centuries, 1 marathon, and 2 long sprint triathlons I probably would have said, "You need to stop doing drugs I have a hard enough time walking around without running into something."  Well nowadays life is a little different for me.
Four years ago I was living in Southern California working hard as a student teacher in the Montebello School District.  I had very close ties and over a year of history with this school district.  I thought for sure I'd be staying there for good.  Around the same time I met my current boyfriend, Nick, who lived in Northern California, 400 miles isn't exactly close.  Anyway, as school districts started accepting job applications and job fairs started approaching I started realizing there wasn't going to be a job for me at Bell Gardens High School.  Well as depressing as this news and realization was it ultimately became a blessing in disguise.  I started noticing the increasing number of positions open in the bay area and one day I was offered a job, where I still torture children today (well not really, but if you heard the whines that come from any high school classroom you would think we were trying to force feed them brussel sprouts).  So here I am in Northern California with 4 years of teaching high school World History and Sociology and now training for my first olympic triathlon.
My journey in triathlons started with biking and the wonderful team and training.  After finishing the Solvang Century I was addicted to endurance athletics, and I definitely was not the slowest individual in the group.  I never thought I would want to spend my saturdays cycling 50 miles with frozen toes or that I'd just go out for a 13 mile jog on a sunday, but this has become my reality or even some days my fantasy.  I wanted to share my journey with everyone as I swim, bike and run my way to the Wildflower finishline, try different foods, different training techniques, and just go about my daily business.  So here I go, I'm at week 4 of my 18 weeks to an olympic triathlon, my students just finished finals and a new semester begins.  

3 comments:

  1. Who doesn't like brussel sprouts?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am dazzled by your perseverance. I am so proud of you...much love Mommy

    ReplyDelete