Saturday, January 29, 2011

I like Bike...I draft, you draft we all go fast!

My adventures in triathlon actually started with cycling.  My first ride involved a couple spills and I still bare the war wound that looks like a tiger malled the back of my leg.

Despite my bumps and bruises I love cycling!
What I am finding to be the most important skill in cycling is drafting.  For many years I tried drafting (riding close behind someone to prevent the draft from pushing you back), but I never felt it truly made a difference on how I ride.  That is until today!  Lately, I've been riding with a group of people who smoke me on the bike and I have found that drafting is a very valuable skill that can increase a persons speed and save energy.
Most triathletes are not allowed to use this skill because it is seen as an advantage, but if you're riding 50+ miles at a time and you're punching it to gain speed then drafting is a necessary skill.  If you want to learn more about drafting check out these videos.




No comments:

Post a Comment