Wednesday, May 4, 2011

The past, the present and the future...maybe?

Growing up I always thought I was horrible at athletics and thought I would never get faster or better even if I worked at it.  Of course I was wrong, I mean I'll never go pro, but I have definately improved from where I started.  Upon the completion of my first olympic triathlon I thought I would take a look at my old times and reflect on how I've improved and set some goals.

My first long Sprint: Luna Bar Tri at Rancho Seco Park
My love of endurance athletics began with my completion of my first century ride in Solvang. So my first area of focus is the bike.  Cycling tends to be my strongest event so I'd like to make it a little stronger.  During my second long sprint tri I averaged a 16.8 pace for 20 miles, now this is actually faster than my pace from Wildflower, but Wildflower has several rolling hills that slow me down to 16.2.  I would like to improve my time for the Pleasanton California International Triathlon by at least 1mph on the bike.  I plan to do this not only by training, but by getting a better bike. 
Right now I ride a 2008 fuji finest 2.0 with purple flowers.  Although I love my bike it weighs a ton.  It is aluminum with a carbon fork and has all Tiagra Shimano components except the rear derailer which is a Shimano 105 derailer.  If I lighten my load a bit I'll be able to fly a little faster.  I have a few bikes in mind and I might possibly head in the tri bike direction, but as for now I'm more of a road cyclist

Now for the swim, during the Luna Bar Tri I swam 800 meters in 17:48 which means I may have swam an olympic at that time in 32 minutes or slower.  During this event I struggled, went out too fast, and even resorted to back stroking.  Luckily with the help of tri-valley masters and Pleasanton Club sport masters I managed to cut my time down.  This past weekend I swam faster than I predicted at a bit over 28 minutes.  Right now I've really only been getting in the pool 2x a week and I've been neglecting masters swim so I really am going to try and push myself to go to masters and get in the water 2x or more.  This is the perfect time of year to work on my swim because the weather is nice to test out the open water.  I'll have the summer off so if anyone wants to head to Shadow Cliffs to swim open water hit me up.  My goal is to cut off 30 seconds to a minute on my time.


As for the run, I have improved tremendously on the run.  I went from running a 10:35 pace for 4 miles at Luna to a 8:48 pace at Wildflower.  My half marathon has gone from 1:51:57 a 8:33 pace to a 8:08 pace at primos to a 1:41: 57  a 7:47 pace.  I have even dropped a full minute off my 5k time.  This year I'll be marathoning again at CIM in December so I'll really be focusing on my run come august.  I'd like to work on improving my half marathon while I work on my marathon and I'm trying to decide which one to do this fall so if you have any suggestions please let me know.  I would like to cut down my half by about 5 seconds per mile meaning a 1:40:52 half marathon.  I've learned that I can't really force it or I'll blow up so I'm praying to the running gods to keep me healthy and help me improve my speed, but I feel as though I'm really going to have to increase my mileage to meet this goal.  So here I go!

No comments:

Post a Comment