Thursday, March 3, 2011

Rest is better than Burn out

Right now I'm on week 10 of my training plan with 8 weeks to go and March is the magic month where I can either hit my training hard and burn out or take this all one day at a time.  See March for teaching is a bit chaotic, it is the month of the CaHSEE test (California High School Exit Exam), it's the last month before California State Testing, it's a month without any three day weekends and multiple after school activities (now you may think thats how most jobs are, but teaching 6 hours of rowdy hormone filled teenagers is no easy task), but most of all, as an advisor for the class of 2013 it is a month of Trojan Olympic practices, meetings and decorations (here's the kids dance from last year).  Trojan Olympics is a class competition where students compete against one another in different categories: dance, games, school spirit, bribes, decorations...all coming down to a trophy and bragging rights for the rest of the year.  This means my Mondays start at 7 and go to 9:30 with a meeting at lunch, this also means that I'm wired when I get home and can't fall asleep until 11 or later (I'm a 10 or earlier kind of person).  I've always been bad at resting and taking it easy so I've decided I really have to try hard to listen to my body this month, which means, dun dun dun, missing workouts.

The reason I chose this topic today is because today I needed to get in a second workout and I just couldn't bring myself to do it.  I even planned alternate workouts (yoga/weights) to my cardio to get me to the gym and maybe I'll change my mind, but I realized I'm better off exercising my arm lifting the remote off the couch than hitting the gym.  (This post is helping me reassure myself of this) If I don't rest then I don't recover and workouts where I feel sluggish suck more.  It is also harder to push myself and I'll have a harder time making it to my workout tomorrow.  Now this isn't a rest day for me, usually triathletes have a few days a week where they workout twice and today was a bike and swim day, possibly even a bike and run day, so I did make it to workout #1 spin class at 6a.m. but the work day got the best of me.  Some people have an easy time resting, but I have a million and one guilt trips that cross my mind...did I eat too much junk? Should I make up this workout?  Will this set me back?

Does anyone else face this dilemma or is it just me?

No comments:

Post a Comment