Friday, March 11, 2011

The power of the hill

I may be a really sick person, but throughout the years I've learned to really love hills.  It may be because I've never been an athlete and cycling up hills was the one thing I could do better than the rest of my TNT cycling group, or maybe it is because so many songs have good hill climbing beats, but one of my favorite ways to train is hill repeats. 
The reason I thought about this is because my morning spin class yesterday started out with hill repeats, and with the daylight increasing hill repeats are now on the schedule of weekly forward motion workouts.  Unfortunately, I will probably not be able to partake in them this year due to my sensitive piriformis (pain in the butt), but they are still one of my favorite workouts. 
Usually when people want to get faster and stronger they stick to intervals, but hill repeats can add to your strength and speed, sometimes even moreso than interval training.  Here are some links and advice on hill repeats...Hill training for runners, Runners World and Hills, Hill repeats on the Bike.





I would like to take a moment to mention the tragedy in Japan, you are in my thoughts and prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment