Wednesday, March 30, 2011

March: A month of highs and lows

March has been a very tough month for me in terms of getting all my training hours in.  I have struggled with burn out and weeks with little to no swimming.  I even had one week where I only ran twice, which is very out of character for me since I love running.  I'm happy to say I completed 429 miles and 37 hours of training.  Although this sounds like a significant amount of hours to dedicate to my training I am still about 8+ short of where I wanted to be by now.
    On the positive side I've seen a lot of improvement in my run and my riding.  I improved my ride of the three bears by 1mile per hour and I've noticed an improvement in my track workouts.  This week I ran 3x1 mile and all of my times were under 7 minutes.  Last time I tried this workout this month my stomach hated me and before that my times weren't below 7 minute miles.  My students worked hard and did well at Trojan Olympics putting on a show I am proud of even though we had some minor set backs along the way.  I'm an advisor for the class of 2013 and I couldn't find their dance on youtube, but here is their pyramid and the senior dance, hard to believe this was my first freshman class.
Anyway, I'm feeling a bit better now that T.O. is over and I can make more time for my workouts and GRADING...which I have fallen so far behind on.  Another positive was that my mom came to visit.  It was exciting to see her since I don't get to see her too often and we finally got to celebrate her retirement.
    However, March was also filled with some major bummers.  This was a month of rainy days to say the least.  I can handle running in the rain, but I spent many days sitting on a trainer or in a spin class instead of enjoying the outdoors on my bike.  I also had a few track sessions that I had to call it quits and try track again on the treadmill.  I skipped workouts to catch up on sleep or just lay on the couch.  Overall, I will be happy to see March go, and I hope April brings sunshine and great days as I wind my way toward Wildflower.

No comments:

Post a Comment