Wednesday, February 9, 2011

The life of an endurance athlete

This is what I have realized every time I train for an endurance event...
1) I am always hungry:  I used to exercise so I could eat anything I wanted.  Now, I eat everything 3x over.  My life is filled with constant snacking...My favorites
- quinoa w/ pesto, sundried tomatoes, artichoke hearts and olives
imgres.jpg- Costco nut clusters
imgres.jpg- any kind of fruit (bananas, berries, peaches)- rice cakes w/ almond butter and jelly
- baby carrots

2) All the bookmarks on my computer are athletic related...
- possible events I'd be interested in doing
- various training calendars
- activewear: a person can never own too much workout apparel
- the latest studies on stretching, lifting, rolling and speed
imgres.jpg- Blogs and forums on my friends lives as athletes
3) My calendar is marked w/ what events each paycheck goes toward: different events go up in price by certain dates, I only get paid once a month so I must budget and plan ahead

4) My phone calls and rendezvous w/ friends either involve eating or exercise: I don't mean to, but I've noticed a pattern, I love having company for my workouts and a girl has got to eat!

5) My music playlists have a specific form and function:
photo.php.jpg--> The running playlist
--> The cycling playlist
--> The easy run mix
--> The race mix
--> Kicking my butt up hills mix
imgres.jpg6) The words "binge drinking" have changed in meaning: My talk of binge drinking always referred to alcohol, but now I have to binge on 8 or more glasses of H20 of I feel like crap, almost as bad as a hangover 
7) My body has no concept of sleeping in: after 5 or 7 a.m. workouts or just from work I have lost the ability to sleep past 7.  I can't even lay in bed, I get antsy like I should be doing something.

8) I have a 2 drink maximum: Not only do I perform worse after drinking so I avoid alcohol, but I am just a light weight.  More than 2 drinks = awful hangover or spending time praying to the porcelain gods.
imgres.jpg9) I own a pair of shoes for everything and I don't mean heels: I have 2 pairs of running shoes, fins for swimming, cycling shoes, more flexible lifting tennis shoes, trail shoes, and the list goes on...
imgres.jpg10) My vocabulary is filled with words the average person would never use and numbers don't have much to do with math: Cadence, Tempo, Fartlek, Triggerpoint, Chamois, etc.  not to mention 3x800 swim w/ 10 sec rest, 4x1000 @10k, 1 minute intervals on hill 60-70 rpm.



No comments:

Post a Comment